Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Lessons from Madame Chic



I first came across Jennifer L. Scott’s book, Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Secrets I learned While Living in Paris after reading a great review in The New York Times. Given my love of everything French and chic, I quickly tried ordering the book, but it was taken off the shelves for a re-release by Simon & Schuster this fall.

A native of southern California, Jennifer wrote this book after spending a semester studying art abroad in Paris. Her observations are personable, sweet and sometimes quite funny!

The book itself is quite lovely, with watercolor illustrations by talented illustrator Virginia Johnson.  But I must say that the helpful tips are what truly enchanted me, with simple, and practical tips for everyone and for every age.

Some of the sections I found particularly interesting and that spoke to me:

  • Liberate yourself with the ten item wardrobe
  • Clutter is so not chic
  • Cultivate an air of mystery
  • Value quality above all

 Given my desire to purge a lot of excess & useless stuff and focus on buying only quality items, these sections really spoke to me. It also reminded me that eating on the run ( while driving or walking) is a major non non, something I do occasionally when in a major rush.

This would make the perfect holiday gift or stocking stuffer for the Francophile, the chic lady or friend in your life!

Speaking of looking chic, I thought I would share this glorious editorial from Marie Claire Australia. 

The colors, the accessories and the chic ensembles made me smile.
 I've been wearing jeans a lot lately and these gorgeous dresses made my day.  As a matter of fact, this editorial has convinced me to slip on a dress for a lunch meeting I have today.








And lastly, an important message from the queen of chic herself!





No comments: